Friday, March 28, 2008
For us X-Philes, it's been a long dry spell of cable reruns and Hollywood red herrings about the release of the second X-Files feature film. Well, apparently, it's happening. For reals, man. Click above to watch Chris Carter, Frank Spotnitz, and Mitch Pileggi ("FBI Assistant Director Walter Skinner") spill some beans on the new movie at Paleyfest, set to release July 25th, 2008.
BONUS: Ain't It Cool News reveals the putative teaser poster for XF2. [Via BD Horror News]
Thursday, March 27, 2008Forget Esther Williams and her synchronized swimmers. Forget the Weeki Wachee Mermaids. The British JCB Dancing Diggers are the shite: diesel poetry in motion!
Yes, choreographed construction diggers. Something about that just tickles my fancy. [Via ha.ha.nu]
Tuesday, March 25, 2008Ah, Illinois...the Sucker State, home of the Sears Tower, and now, the land of flying Asian carp:
[Via Scribal Terror]
Sunday, March 23, 2008
[Herndon, VA - on Flickr]
Wednesday, March 12, 2008I have a burning question for Chicagoans in the know: which bigshot rides around town in a pair of shiny black Chevy Suburbans (with tastefully concealed blue and red emergency lights and police-style sirens, used at strategic moments to slice through traffic like a knife through butta') both bearing the SAME rear license plate, Illinois registration 321-6024 - with a DIFFERENT license plate on the front?
The rear windows are deep-tinted, and through the lightly tinted front window glass you can spy a Blues Brothersish goomba behind each wheel. Two identical Suburbans in tandem, with the same rear plates?? This wouldn't fly without the express consent of Chicago PD.
I've seen these Suburbans twice now - riding alongside me on northbound Lake Shore Drive just past the river, in the afternoon rush hour.
Who do they belong to? Da Mare? Certainly not Blowdryevich; he flies on our nickel.
[Image courtesy of a Colorado limo service - the only photo of two Black Suburbans I could filch off the Web. Gracias!]
Monday, March 10, 2008
- Earworms; especially those hatched from old Steely Dan or Duran Duran songs.
- The Yebeg Tibs Watt I had for dinner.
- Is Black Sigatoka fungus the reason we have no bananas in the house?
- Our dog Sammy's flatulence after consuming an entire roast beef Nylabone™ (no relation to #2). "Organic!" plus "wholesome!" does not equal "odorless!"
- Toasti Toes™ (see picture). It's like a David Lynch film: you know Super Mario the lumberjack and his axe are somehow responsible for those dismembered toes appearing in a toaster. "With Adhesive!" All the better to stick to your ribs, dearie! And why the hell is that rabbit skiing?
- "Kenmore's on fire again!" Why do all the fire engines take a short cut down our peaceful street at night?
- The concept of a Vice President named Huckabee.
- Our upstairs neighbor moving furniture at 2:00am, because stylish interior design waits for no man (or woman).
- The effect of Daylight Savings Time versus Earth's rotation slowing down.
- Eliot Spitzer Admits Involvement in Prostitution Ring: was he bolstering NY's budget by running one? Then yes. Patronizing one? Meh; not so much.
Wednesday, March 05, 2008From CBS2 Chicago:
Squirrels Harass Owl In Buffalo Grove - Neighbor Calls Police
BUFFALO GROVE, Ill. (STNG) ― If you thought Buffalo Grove was just another quiet village, think again. Nights in this northwest suburb can get pretty wild.
At about 2:55 a.m. Wednesday, police were called to the 300 block of Willow Parkway when a resident reported an unusual noise in her back yard, according to a report from Buffalo Grove police.
Investigating officers found that two squirrels were harassing an owl and causing the ruckus. No injuries or arrests were reported.
(Source: Sun-Times News Group Wire © Chicago Sun-Times 2006. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Ah, where was this kind soul when Kitty Genovese gasped her last?
- Call police on squirrel gangs? Nah. Send Mike Huckabee after them with a popcorn popper. [YouTube link]
- Note to owl: wings. Use 'em.