<
Friday, August 17, 2007
Res Ipsa Loquitur? 
 
by Lenka Reznicek [permalink] 
Perhaps you have been wondering about the scarcity of new posts here on Farkleberries for the past little while, and maybe your RSS feed hasn't been delivering very many fresh nuggets from this little corner of the Internet. There have been many major changes and business afoot (regarding work, school, and family) at Chez Farkleberries this summer that have occupied my attention - not the least of which is that I've just started law school, while continuing to work full time and commute back and forth across Chicago on a daily basis.

As a newly-minted 1L, life is freshly busy, crazy, exhausting and exhilarating. Many people have told me it takes a few months to "hit your groove," and I tend to believe them - at other times in my life when I've been faced with big changes, I've always been surprised at the human organism's capacity to adapt. Also in the equation is the fact I am significantly skewing the age distribution of my class upward, as a non-traditional age student.

During our introductory days, an administrator provided us with the Part Time Evening Division law class demographics, which indicated that for the 20th year in a row, more than half of the student body at my school was female - and the median age of incoming 1L's this year was 26. Considering the fact that the youngest students are likely at least 22, even if fresh from undergraduate work, I am a definite outlier lying a few standard deviations above the mean. But few worries about that...just a little grise, no so much eminence yet.

With all the brain work we'll be doing, I'm sure I'll have a lot to say along the way...

Labels: , ,