Tuesday, October 24, 2006
- Witty fun link of the day: 5ives by Merlin, with Lettermanesque lists like 5 Terrible 60's Dance Crazes and 5 Terrible Fake Entrees from the Dot Com Era (5. "Single 20-dollar bill served raw, with alternating dipping stations of wasabi and aioli ($87)").
- Tragic, but unforgivably stupid: 24 Ohio State University students crowded into a dormitory elevator last Friday, causing it to fall, crushing one student to death.
The 2,500-pound weight capacity of the elevator was exceeded by as much as 1,100 pounds, said Doug Smith, a battalion chief for the Columbus Division of Fire. [18-year old Andrew] Polakowski, a pre-business major, was the last person in a group of students to enter the elevator on the dormitory's third floor when it unexpectedly began to descend with the doors open, campus police said. Polakowski tried to get back onto the third floor as someone shouted that the elevator was falling, said Rick Amweg, assistant chief of campus police. The elevator didn't stop its descent until it wedged Polakowski against the floor of the third-floor lobby, Amweg said.Not too smart trying to sardine* 24 people into one dorm elevator. The story reports the elevator had passed all required safety inspection requirements.
- Sailors, scouts, climbers, equestrians and bondage fans will all love Grog's Animated Knots tutorial [via Cool Tools]
- Bacon bliss: bacon caramel, and the "Seduced by Bacon" cookbook [via Slashfood]
- No more Vegemite in the U.S., as the FDA bans its import due to "unregulated folate content," Men at Work song now harder to recreate.
- Shrimp on a treadmill.
- Joliet, IL's own Janina Gavankar (face of the much-maligned "Ms. Dewey" search engine) will be appearing on The L-Word as "Papi."
- Día de los Muertos: way cooler than Hallowe'en.
- * Who says "sardine" can't be a verb?