Wednesday, October 11, 2006
- 72-year old Hu Zheshen, a boater/hobbyist from Hunan province in China, has built a lightweight homemade amphibious craft - powered by a 5hp diesel and 1hp electric engine - called the "Happy Boat." He plans on using it to take his family on holiday. [via Kevin Kelly's Street Use]
- Shrimp-peeling machines, leering cheeseburger photos and sheep in spandex are just some of the delights you'll find at Information Junk, The Blog.
- "Sweetie darling, you look just faboo with your Swarovski Crystal Giant Hissing Cockroach Brooch."
- Standing just 17 inches high at the shoulder (4 hands!), Thumbelina is the world's smallest horse. Veterinarians say she is a miniature horse with dwarfism.
- As if E. coli on spinach and lettuce weren't enough to worry about, California farmers are facing another - two-legged - scourge: almond rustlers. [NPR]
- Sometimes, a headline really gets to the point: "Stink Bug Guts Reveal DNA Surprise" [NewScientist].
- Love Firefox, but your GNU or UNIX setup can't handle it? Now there's a freeware version just for you, called...IceWeasel.
- Hoisted by his own petard?
Warsaw, Poland (AHN) - A 45-year-old Polish man is now the subject of a nationwide manhunt by the Polish police after he was charged for farting loudly in response to his sentiment about the president. Hubert Hoffman was earlier arrested by the police in a routine check at a railway station in the Polish capital of Warsaw. He complained to the arresting officers that President Lech Kaczynski and his twin brother Jaroslaw, was responsible for turning Poland back to a Communist style dictatorship. He was reprimanded to show more respect for the country's rulers. Hoffman replied with a loud fart and was immediately arrested. He was charged for "contempt for the office of the head of state."...Surprisingly, the court ordered the police to start a nationwide hunt for the man, and Interpol has been alerted.Such are the perils of living in Poland; had Hoffman ripped one in front of Pres. George W. Bush, he'd likely have gotten a slap on the back and earned the nickname "Tooter." (P.S.) More on Ananova and Tailrank.