Friday, April 14, 2006
- Yup, that's a real rabbit: bunny breeder Hans Wagner is shown at left holding his outsized charge, Herman the Giant German rabbit. Herman tips the scales at 22 pounds (~40kg), and he's still growing. [BBC]
- I'll be watching (and taping) tonight's 20/20 on ABC: John Stossel on "Freakonomics: A New Way of Looking At Everything" (10PM Eastern, 9PM Central) focuses on the University of Chicago Professor Steve Levitt and his best-selling book, plus a look at fellow UC Econ professor John List's study on the connection between women's perceived attractiveness, and how effective they are at door-to-door fundraising. The blogs will be a-cookin' tomorrow, I assure you.
- Carnegie Mellon University Robotics Institute's UGCV PerceptOR Integrated unmanned military vehicle rolls, climbs, swims and drops ordnance in hard-to-navigate terrain: UPI looks like a real-life "Killdozer."
- There's some bun for every one: McGriddle Fan Fiction
- CBS2 Chicago: Nancy Faust, Sox Organist, "To Be Heard Less"
- PlusMinus Design's "Flashbag" keychain drive (not yet available for sale) inflates and deflates to correspond with the amount of data it contains, so you know when it's getting full [Gizmodo]...but I suspect it may be a hoax, now that a Spongebob pufferfish and handbag version of the prototype have appeared on the website. Feh.
- 80's recording artist/retro-electro-geek wizard Thomas Dolby is back on the scene...and he has a blog! Dolby's technically detailed - but personable - style works well in this medium (he did, as a matter of fact, have other websites before, as an "early adopter" on the Internet). Other artists who've been bitten by the blogging bug include MC Hammer and Otep, and I'm sure there are many more.
- Rodent redecorators: "I Love What The Rats Have Done To Your Walls!" [CNET]
- I Love Egg! The Video ("The Egg Song") [warning: disturbingly high levels of superdeformed cutosity, on par with Hello Kitty™-meets-Teletubbies...sample lyric: "I LOVE YOU! FRESH EGG! EGGS, I REALLY LOVE YOU LIKE THE SKY ABOVE!"]