Wednesday, March 29, 2006
- WorldMapper® offers a collection of global maps, with sizes of nations and continents altered in proportion to their worldwide prominence in various aspects - for example, the map below shows how countries compare as international tourist destinations. Especially interesting are the population projections through the year 2300 AD.
- Just imagine the possibilities: Samsung corporation has developed a functional Smell-O-Phone that releases "smell tones" to signal incoming calls. I can just picture the chaos that ensues if these phones go off en masse on buses and trains, in crowded theaters, etc. *sniff sniff* "Is that you, or me?" Will people download gag "smell-tones" that offer a different aroma for each incoming caller?
- While I haven't yet tried this open-source option, Rockbox purports to be a new customizable, lightweight firmware jukebox app for your .mp3 player that supports a wide range of file types. I hope it's soon available for the Creative Zen NX - It's a good player, but only plays .mp3's and .wma's. I'd love .ogg, .aac amd .mp4 capability. Warning: installing Rockbox may invalidate your player's warranty, so it's definitely "user beware."
- New Scientist reports that researchers at Los Alamos National Laboratory have developed new "green" explosives that can blow things up without harming the environment.
- The Toast of the Town: Slate on the best and worst of (now 100 years old!) toast technology
- Dr. Toast's Amazing World of Toast
- Strange medical news: Pakistani doctors surgically removed two fetuses from the body of a 2-month old baby girl, in what is described as a rare case of "fetus in fetu." [via Slate]
- Yongfook.com's Japanese Snack Food Reviews [NSFW]
- Gizmodo has the
scoopflush on the new Peter Potty™ Training Urinal