Wednesday, November 23, 2005
- Pitchfork's Worst Record Covers of All Time [which neatly encompass the CD era as well as vinyl]
- What do you call a genial, ethnically diverse football game that's been a Thanksgiving tradition in Skokie, Ilinois for the past six years? Why, Indo-Jew Bowl VI, of course!
It's one of the most anticipated sports events of the year, billed as "the annual zenith in all that is Indian and Jewish life." Yup, folks, it's time for Indo Jew Bowl VI, a Thanksgiving Day football game in Skokie that separates the men from the boys ... and the Shahs and the Mehtahs from the Engelmans and the Weintraubs.
From all over the United States, these gladiators - now in their mid-20s - come home to Skokie to play. The Jewish team includes a former Israeli army sergeant. The Indian team has a medical student at the University of Michigan who returns here to help his boys. "I haven't missed one yet," said Jewish player Daniel Engelman, who is traveling from New York City, where he is an engineer and a member of the band Nomad. "I wouldn't miss it for the world," said the medical student, Trushar Naik. Both ethnicities "have bonded." [keep reading]
- Death and Sausages: German cuisine steams full speed ahead back to the Big Apple [Village Voice]
- Frozen turkey saves life of elderly couple trapped in burning car [NBC5 Chicago]
- Deliciously retro Design [Journal] is now available online, from 1965-1974 [BoingBoing]
- An index of neologisms