Wednesday, August 24, 2005
"On Monday, Aug. 22, a pair of coronal mass ejections, or CMEs, blasted off the sun and headed toward Earth. A CME is a huge bubble of plasma that's ejected from the sun's corona's over the course of several hours. Disturbances of the Earth's magnetic field (geomagnetic storms) and auroras are possible Aug. 23 and Aug. 24 in Alaska, Canada and possibly beyond as a result."In other words, solar farts.
- "Beware the Jerk-o-meter," a new electronic phone device that MIT researchers claim can sense and quantify a caller's empathy, voice stress and attention levels. In other words, this could be a real-life Bullshit Detector.
- Stan Murmur, the Butt-print Artist. 'Fess up: you'd love to do this, too.
- FedEx is not happy because this man furnished his apartment with objects made from their shipping boxes - and posted the pictures on the Web
- One man's cologne is another man's (or woman's) crap-o-la: before we had Axe™, we had Hai Karate™
- The world's gayest corporate logos [Radar Magazine]
- After its brew is named the world's finest, Belgium's Saint Sixtus Abbey is forced to stop selling its beer due to extreme demand [CNN/Reuters]
- Hum along to the 1960's educational sounds of Singing Science Records, with hep streaming tunes like "Thumbnail Sketch Of Atomic Energy," "It's A Magnet! (reprise)" and "Song Of The Fossils." Quick: grab that last one before it's banned in public schools by "intelligent design" proponents. [Note: these albums were produced by Hy Zaret, whose main claim to fame is writing the lyrics to the classic "Unchained Melody"]