Friday, August 05, 2005
No, I haven't taken leave of my senses, but I thought it appropriate to mention that the famous Plattsburgh B-47 bomber (which Santa rides every year) located at the intersection of Route 9 South and New York Road on the former Plattsburgh Air Force Base has been moved to the east side of the intersection, after spending decades on the west side. Trust me: this is big news in Plattsburgh, NY. I heard about it from my friend Cindy at EclecticEveryday - my source for all news Plattsburgh, and a heckuva writer, too. (P.S. - This actually happened back in April, but you know how slow the Internets can be.) [Cool photo above by Patrick Smith, which appears on www.fb-111a.net]
- Could John Roberts be a pro-gay rights Supreme? Read about it at Dispatches from the Culture Wars
- Jill at Feministe revisits the Dove Real Beauty ad campaign
- Because 9 out of 10 grownups prefer candy that doesn't clash with the
M. DiddyMartha Stewart shower curtains: M&M rolls out a new line of (55%!) bigger "adult-oriented" chocolate candy. Money says,
The new M&M's are available in milk chocolate and peanut varieties and come with an "adult-oriented" color scheme that includes teal, beige, maroon, gold, brown and blue-gray...the mega-sized candies are here to stay as part of the M&M's permanent line. "They're not an in and out item," [Masterfoods USA, M&M's parent company spokeswoman Joan] Buyce said.What, no mauve? While we're on the topic of "adult" colors, let's not forget Burnt Mortgage Black, Ledger Debit Red and Shrinking Paycheck Green.
- The Friday Random Ten:
- Duke Ellington - "East St. Louis Toodle-oo"
- Fischerspooner - "Just Let Go"
- Pet Shop Boys - "Email"
- Joan Jett and the Blackhearts - "World of Denial"
- Donnie Darko Soundtrack - "Philosophy of Time Travel"
- Devo - "Through Being Cool"
- Low - "Sunflower"
- Harold Budd - "How Vacantly Can You Stare at Me"
- Toquinho Vinicius De Moraes - "Samba Da Bencao"
- Buckner and Garcia - "Pac-Man fever"