Thursday, August 04, 2005
- File under: "Who knew?" Snopes.com examines the odd phenomenon of Reflectoporn, where seemingly-innocent photos of shiny objects (on eBay, for instance) "flash" the naked photog somewhere in the image. As you can see, these guys obviously don't care about the "funhouse" distortion lent to one's midsection. [NSFW]
- The fascinating as-yet-unsullied by reflectoporn Infinite Flickr thread, where you upload a digital image of yourself with the current Flickr page, producing an ever-spiraling stream of image-within-image shots
- The Soup Lady has returned with a delightful post on Red Snapper Soup, recently savored at the Drake Bros. restaurant at the Drake Hotel in Chicago; and no, it isn't fish soup. It's a snapper of an altogether different color, so to speak. Hail to the Soup!
- Another hearty welcome back to Artichoke Heart (of Makura No Soshi: A Woman Who Loves Insects), now back to the blogosphere at Octopus' Garden
- From The Onion 2056, on rebuilding the Midwest after "the Great Wars between the EOT and the Great Lakes Alliance": Har, har, har...
"Our first objective is to suppress the Wisconsinite and Illini insurgents," Halliburton spokesman James Rothman told reporters. "Attacks on the area's megasilos and supermills have cut the region's grain production in half. Once the insurgents have been contained and the farmland has been adequately irradiated, we will build our own MechaSuperfarms, which we will manage for as long as is necessary to maintain stability in the area."
Halliburton won the bid over stiff competition from 22 other international heavy-hitters like 3M-Hasbro, Microsoft Monopolies Inc., and Global Tetrahedron/Fox-Regency. ChaseMitsubishi, whose privately issued neo-yen became the new standard U.S. currency in 2055, also lost the bid, making it possible for Halliburton to introduce a regional economy based on the corporation's new Hallibucks.
The Midwest region remains volatile more than three years after the peace accord between Texas and the Midwestern Statehood Alliance.
"The Middle West region, previously known for its scenic beauty and quaint small-city life, is in a state of anarchy," Rothman said. "Citizens suffer under the thumb of regional warlords, many of whom use mass slaughter and starvation as a means of controlling the population and suppressing nomadic tribes of Presbyterian extremists." [keep reading]
- Ever craved the warrior-like energy long pig purportedly bestows upon those who eat it? Now, you can have your very own Donner Party with HuFu, the human flesh alternative! HuFu Classic Strips are currently backordered due to unexpected demand. [via Wither in the Light] Perhaps these recipes might appeal to those Chicagoans who take first dates to the BodyWorlds exhibit. Tongue firmly in cheek [gulp], I hope.