Monday, April 25, 2005
With a review that reads like this, I don't know whether I'd enjoy it or feel violated afterwards.
- "Holy smokes, it's Howdy Doobie Time!"
- Listen to a 1949 radioplay adaptation of George Orwell's 1984 [via Swen's Blog]
- Carnival of the Godless #11 is up over at Freespace
- Our Senate apparently has come up with a new definition of "woman" [via Feministe]:
According to the Unborn Child Pain Awareness Act of 2005 (Senate Bill 51 and House Bill 356, if you’re curious), it’s the ova and the uterus and nothing else. The Act, which has been criticized for its possible effects on abortion law, has been referred to committee in both the House and the Senate. It contains this excellent definition:
WOMAN- The term "woman" means a female human being who is capable of becoming pregnant, whether or not she has reached the age of majority. [continue reading]
- Some most excellent Gmail hacks [via Wither In The Light]
- How To Make Your Own Fizzing Bath Bombs [via Trish Wilson's Blog]
- If you don't like the news, make some up: try the Random News Generator for a fresh page of Mad-Libs-meets-CNN silliness. [via MeFi]
- Shut Up And/Or Drink: In "Language: the Anti-Beer?" Language Log has discovered that "more people blog about 'language OR languages' during the week, and fewer on weekends, whereas 'beer' is the opposite."
- Actually overheard in my office: "Once you go Mac, you'll never go back." Meh.
- A Kansas Intelligent Design [ID] proponent shows her true colors. Money quote: "Our country is made up of Christian conservatives. We don't often speak up but we need to stand up and let our voices be heard," said [Kansas State Board of Education member pressing for statewide adoption of ID curricula, Kathy] Martin. [Dispatches From The Culture Wars]