Wednesday, April 06, 2005
- It's all about morel values: Saturday, May 1st is the Illinois State Morel Hunting Championship, in lovely Magnolia, IL!
Chicagoist really digs mushrooms, but had no idea that - each year, in spring and early summer - part of our very own state becomes a hotbed of activity for those that enjoy seeking them out in their natural forested environment. This is the fabled time of year when prized morel mushrooms begin their journey into full fungal beauty, and it turns out there's no better place to find them than Central Illinois.[via Chicagoist] If you'd like to learn more before you forage for fancy fungi, check out Morel Maniacs: A Documentary on the Illinois State Mushroom Hunting Championship
- On Aljazeera.net: Europe in New Banana Dispute [via Rebecca's Pocket]
- Illinois governor Rod Blagojevich just passed an emergency state regulation requiring pharmacies to fill birth-control prescriptions without delay, regardless of individual pharmacists' personal objections; an alternate pharmacist must be available to fill the script if a conscientious objector is on duty. California is considering a similar but more stringent measure that could revoke pharmacies' licenses if they refuse to fill prescriptions. [Ventura CA Times, reg. req.]
- A Colorado college teacher, 34-year old Becky Zerlentes, died from injuries she sustained in a Golden Gloves boxing match Sunday, the first female boxer to die in a sanctioned American bout.
- Juggernaut, defined: NASA is rolling out the 6-million pound Space Shuttle crawler-transporter for the program's first flight since the tragic Columbia disaster on February 1st, 2003.
- Sticks and stones may break my bones, but the Virtual I Ching divines more peacefully.