<
Wednesday, February 16, 2005
Audacious! 
 
by Lenka Reznicek [permalink] 
Just a quick note to check in...updates have been a bit infrequent because of a couple of major work and academic projects I've been toiling away at working on. In the meantime, I did want to tell you about a very nice (and free, which augments the "nice" part) open-source audio editor application I downloaded a few months ago, and recently found a great use for - cleaning up and "sweetening" .mp3 files for my trusty Rio S10 Flash player.



Audacity is surprisingly flexible and useful for a wide range of applications, including file-type conversions; it's lightweight [2.5Mb download], adware and spyware-free, and available at Sourceforge.com for PC, Mac and GNU/Linux, and other OS's. If you're at all curious about desktop audio editing, but don't want to spend a lot of any money, this is a perfect program to try. It comes with online documentation and a user tutorial, but there's also an Audacity user forum available for unanswered questions and application tips and tricks, as well.

Speaking of .mp3's, I've been sucking quite a few down the T1 from Epitonic.com and mp3Blogs [from Bloglines, my new favorite desination on the Web - it lets me read all 80 of my RSS feed subscriptions at once], among other locations; my hard drive is starting to feel a little, how shall I say, bloated?