Monday, January 17, 2005
- Here we go again? News outlets worldwide report that Iran is considered the next U.S. military target [Google news cluster]. One of the main sources cited is Seymour Hersh's [widely credited as the "breaker" of the Abu Ghraib scandal story] piece in The New Yorker detailing U.S. reconnaisance missions seeking possible WMD's, reportedly initiated last year:
According to a former high-level intelligence official, Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld met with the Joint Chiefs of Staff shortly after the election and told them..."This is a war against terrorism, and Iraq is just one campaign. The Bush Administration is looking at this as a huge war zone," the former high-level intelligence official told me. "Next, we're going to have the Iranian campaign. We've declared war and the bad guys, wherever they are, are the enemy. This is the last hurrah—we've got four years, and want to come out of this saying we won the war on terrorism." [read full article]
- Holy WMD-M.A.D., Batman! For a mere ¥3,990, you can press your very own Self-Destruct Button by Livedoor! [via Dottocomu]
- Want to reduce your dependence on fossil fuels, but can't afford a hybrid car, or a full-scale wind farm? How about generating your own electriciy with the Windsave Personal Wind Generator? It's manufactured by Windsave company of Glasgow, Scotland (no doubt inspired by gusty highland slopes), "Euro-ready" with 240V/50Hz power output, and retails for £995 - now if only they could make a U.S. version. [Gizmodo]
- Delicious and no dishes: they may be in their share of hot water, but I'm still grateful the FDA is keeping some things off grocery shelves. For your gustatory pleasure, the often stomach-churning FDA Office of Regulatory Affairs [ORA] OASIS listings of refused import food and drug products, and the reasons the shipments were rejected:
- Reason: FILTHY
Section: 402(a)(3), 801(a)(3); ADULTERATION - Charge: The article appears to consist in whole or in part of a filthy, putrid, or decomposed substance or be otherwise unfit for food.
- Reason: POISONOUS
Section: 402(a)(1), 801(a)(3); ADULTERATION - Charge: The article appears to contain a poisonous or deleterious substance which may render it injurious to health.
- Reason: HEPATITISA
Section: Section 801(a)(3), 402(a)(1); ADULTERATION - Charge: The article appears to contain Hepatitis A Virus, a poisonous or deleterious substance which may render it injurious to health.
- Reason: FILTHY
- Would you believe there's a fanlisting for Red Lobster™ Cheddar Bay Biscuit aficionados?
- Lizzie Borden reincarnated in Malone, NY? [WPTZ-TV]
- One of the most extensive Pocky™ flavor galleries I've seen can be found here; including images of rare regional Pocky™ editions like Hokkaido Yubari Melon, Kyushu Giant Mikan and Nagano Grape flavors. There are also three "seasonal" pocky flavors shown: winter chocolate-ganache, spring honey and kiwi-mango summer Pocky™ oddly, the unusual pumpkin variety (which I've found for sale here at the Broadway Market) isn't listed as a seasonal flavor. Probably because it's available in Chicago?