Tuesday, November 30, 2004
Bright Ideas: Cooking a Lava Lamp™ 
by Lenka Reznicek [permalink] 
There are bizarre ways to die, and then there are some truly bizarre ways to die. This is apparently one of them.
KENT, Washington (AP) -- A man who placed a lava lamp on a hot stovetop was killed when it exploded and sent a shard of glass into his heart, police said. Philip Quinn, 24, was found dead in his trailer home Sunday night by his parents. "Why on earth he was heating a lava lamp on the stove, we don't know," Kent Police spokesman Paul Petersen said Monday.

After the lamp exploded, Quinn apparently stumbled into his bedroom, where he died Sunday afternoon, authorities said. Police found no evidence of drug or alcohol use.
Don't try this at home, kids. Really.