Sunday, October 03, 2004
- The Chicago Transit Authority is threatening service cuts due to budget shortfalls; view the proposed worst-case scenario route curtailments here on the Chicago Sun-Times. Feh. [via Chicagoist and Gapers Block] Springfield: do try to loosen up those purse strings a tad with regards to public transportation. As Chicagoist and Gapers Block both point out, fewer riders mean less money, in an ever-descending spiral - there's no way the existing (or an increased) number of system users will cram themselves into a shorter operating day. In addition, while eliminating overnight "L" service may boost taxi ridership, not all train (or bus) users can afford this option, and putting more taxis - and private motor vehicles - on the street translates to more pollution and gas consumption.
- Can't wait for the Bloggies to see exemplars of beautiful website design? Check out (and be inspired by) CSS Beauty [via Fishbucket]
- Didn't get that bonus your boss promised? Fortune.com says quantum meruit: you can attempt to get what's coming to you by utilizing legal channels, although the article's author concedes this may not be the best career move
- Billy Joel weds 23-year old fianceé; let's hope she holds on to the car keys
- Barin' it for the Bulldozer: the Ladies for Granby will pose for a fundraising calendar to collect money to rebuild Colorado town [Denver Channel], and the latest issue of Newspapers and Technology describes how the Sky-Hi News and Grand County Newpapers kept up publication despite their building's destruction in the June 4th rampage
- Word of the Day: retcon