<
Wednesday, October 27, 2004
BBC DJ John Peel, 1939-2004 
 
by Lenka Reznicek [permalink] 
BBC DJ John Peel, 1939-2004
"It was on his show that I first heard punk, along with a lot of the other big music in my life. John was the only radio presenter to make me inspired to want to become one myself.

He was someone with a warmth and honesty who really loved music, rather than someone who wanted to be a famous DJ. John showed that it was possible to be a broadcaster on a national radio station and still be yourself. He was a maverick and a peer, and a role model for so many of us."


-- BBC 2 Presenter Mark Radcliffe, remembering the late John Peel.
While I've only heard small portions of his radio shows, over the years I've acquired several "The Peel Sessions" discs; all exceptionally candid, unaffected recordings. One of my favorites is the 1981 Ultravox Peel Sessions, which captures the band at what may consider their late peak John Foxx-period punk stylings prior to their transition to the icy machinebeat pop years with Midge Ure. Peel was not only a DJ but a tastemaker of the first water, and the world of popular music was made so much the richer for his efforts. He'll be greatly missed.

NPR audio tribute to John Peel
The BBC's John Peel section, updated with the recent news of his death of a heart attack.
The Peel Sessions, by alphabet
Greengrl and Withering in the Light remember Peel:
"Damn, this guy was a major influence within British music, and music in general. I’ve got dozens of his Peel Sessions either on CD or taped. I’ve still listened to him via the internet on Radio 1. He will be sorely missed by many, many of us. R.I.P. John." -- Greengrl
And thanks to Greengrl for providing a link to www.radioplus.com, a site featuring dozens of free .mp3 downloads of Peel Sessions tracks...get them while they're there. You know nothing lasts forever...
"This guy is almost single-handedly responsible for turning me on to most of the bands I've listened to throughout my life. Marc Bolan, David Bowie, The Sex Pistols, The Clash, The Birthday Party, Siouxsie & the Banshees, Joy Division, The Jam, The Specials, The Cure, The Damned, Nick Cave, The Fall, The Smiths, The Cocteau Twins... fucking hell, Wire, Gary Numan & the Tubeway Army, Sonic Youth, Jesus & Mary Chain, The Buzzcocks, Gang of Four, Adam & the Ants, Stereolab, Belle & Sebastian, The Pixies, Pavement, Elastica... there's probably hundreds more." ---WitL