<
Wednesday, September 01, 2004
Newly-Released Heemeyer Audiotapes: "It Was God's Plan" 
 
by Lenka Reznicek [permalink] 
Could it be the groundwork for The Passion of the Bulldozer? Just when you thought the Granby bulldozer affair was dead and buried (pun intended), Colorado news outlets are releasing excerpts from a series of audiotapes Marvin Heemeyer recorded prior to his June 4th rampage.
"It came to Marvin Heemeyer while soaking in his hot tub in 2001 that God wanted him to turn a bulldozer into a fortified tank and use it to teach the town of Granby a lesson." -- Rocky Mountain News.com

"God built me for this job," Heemeyer said in an April 13 recording. He even said it was God's plan that he not be married or have family so that he could be in a position to carry out such an attack. The tapes, which Heemeyer mailed to his brother in South Dakota shortly before stepping into his bulldozer, were released by the Grand County Sheriff's Office on Tuesday. They are nearly three hours in length. The last recording was made 13 days before the rampage.

"I think God will bless me to get the machine done, to drive it, to do the stuff that I have to do" he said. "God blessed me in advance for the task that I am about to undertake. It is my duty. God has asked me to do this. It's a cross that I am going to carry and I'm carrying it in God's name," he said.
9News.com has streaming audio/video and a partial transcription:
The tape starts, "Hello, my name is Marvin Heemeyer. Today is - let's see here - April 13th, 2004. I am making this tape (thought I should make it a year ago). Made part of it, didn't like it. Really didn't think it would make a difference if I did make it, but a good friend of mine said I should make it. He said I should sit down in front of a videotape machine and do it. But you're just going to have to take my word that this is Marv Heemeyer. Serial number 503689471.... [read more]"
More: Denver Post story on the tapes