<
Tuesday, August 17, 2004
Roasted Harshmellows 
 
by Lenka Reznicek [permalink] 
Although I lived in the vicinity of Burlington, Vermont for almost twenty years, I unfortunately never "got" the Phish Phenomenon - and now it's over. When I worked at WPTZ-TV, we'd often go out with co-workers [yeah, it was that kind of place] to clubs downtown like Nectar's, where the band got its start...but isn't that the essence of the "hometown star"? They'll always be the boys from the 'Hood, not untouchable glitterati.

However, I have to hand it to my mom...she went to see Joan Jett and the Blackhearts live at the Franklin County Fairgrounds in Malone, New York last Saturday night. [I've been a big fan of hers for...well, longer than I care to admit. Since before I lived in the vicinity of Burlington] From what my mom tells me, she's still got the spirit and the chops.

Knowing me, I'll probably start to love Phish's music in a few years; I'm never the first to catch onto a trend, and I rarely take a fashion to heart until it's almost (or long) over. Sad, but that's just the way it is. And no, I didn't travel back to the NEK [North East Kingdom, for the uninitiated] to partake of the Farewell concert. Being an introvert, as a rule I hate crowds - especially muddy, unwashed crowds - as mellow and friendly as they might be. I don't hate the people - just the crowdiness of thousands of people without adequate shelter, food or hygiene. Muddy festivals make me think of Apocalyptic future scenarios, which I generally attempt to avoid in the pursuit of leisure. That, or Braveheart. Can you tell I've never been to Burning Man?

That's probably the main reason I could never live in the desert. Not enough water to draw a contemplative tub...and that's probably why I've lived near large bodies of water all my life, although I can't swim. [Long story, for another post. But I digress.]

I would have been dead meat at Woodstock...or the Crusades.