<
Monday, February 02, 2004
"Houston, We Have a Wardrobe Malfunction..." 
 
by Lenka Reznicek [permalink] 
Janet Jackson with Justin Timberlake after halftime Super Bowl breast bearing. Photo courtesy CBS Networks/SI.com all rights reservedI'm not much of a Super Bowl watcher these days (last one I watched was Super Bowl XII, as a kid; yes, XII. Cowboys vs. Broncs), so I completely missed the Janet Jackson Halftime Boob Brouhaha, where the singer lost part of her costume during a duet with Justin Timberlake, exposing her breast to millions of television viewers.

The network issued an apology for the incident, saying "CBS deeply regrets the incident that occurred during the Super Bowl halftime show...we attended all rehearsals throughout the week and there was no indication that any such thing would happen. The moment did not conform to CBS broadcast standards and we would like to apologize to anyone who was offended." Timberlake also issued his own apology, "I am sorry if anyone was offended by the wardrobe malfunction during the halftime performance at the Super Bowl...It was not intentional and is regrettable."

My two bits?

If the loss of Janet's nose-cone shielding was 'entirely unintentional', then why was she wearing pasties underneath the costume (although other news outlets are reporting she was sporting a 'sun-shaped silver nipple ring' rather than a pasty)?

Personally, I think Justin wanted prime-time payback for Britney's Madonna-smooching: not sure if he did, though. I think more tongues will wag for a longer time over Britney's same-sex buss than for Super Bowl audiences getting a flash of Ms. Jackson's mammaries.

Ironically, I think President Bush had the best take on the incident; on SI.com, Ye Prez reveals: "I don't want to admit it, but because this White House starts early, I missed it -- again," he told reporters Monday after a Cabinet meeting. "Saw the first half, did not see the halftime -- I was preparing for the day and fell asleep."