<
Friday, November 07, 2003
Thou Child of the 80's 
 
by Lenka Reznicek [permalink] 
"Your generation stuck mine with a motherload [sic] of cultural horrors (bradys! disco! plaid! roller skating!). -30% for being a yuppie. 5 point bonus for telling me where you saw this."

So claims the autogenerated response from this quiz' author. Horsefeathers. I had nothing to do with the Bradys or plaid; blame the Picts, or at least the Bay City Rollers. Besides, aren't we discussing the Eighties here? A decade of some remarkably adventurous music that often degenerated into the worst earworm glurge, and a political era painfully close to our own Oughties in hypocrisy and Armageddonism.

I've often theorized that throughout history, the fear of Doomsday often goes hand-in-hand with egregious fashion; to wit, powdered wigs and crinoline in one period, clamdiggers and beehive hairdos in another, and in the Reagan era - mullets, jewelled gloves worn solo and parachute pants. You can't blame my generation for that...well, actually you can. I'm wedged somewhere between being a child of the Seventies and the Eighties, I'll take the fall for anything.



What have we to complain of; after all, the Eighties gave us the advent of the affordable personal computer as well as the pop-cultural zenith of Milli Vanilli. I'd call that a raving success, non? Final score: 89. Thanks, Mel!