<
Tuesday, October 07, 2003
Just Another Day at the Movie Set..er...Work 
 
by Lenka Reznicek [permalink] 
Today I got my first glimpse at a real, honest-to-goodness Hollywood movie set, as shooting continues for Proof here at the University of Chicago quads. What surprised me most? The lack of screaming fans and gawking passersby (well, granted, none of the stars were on the set yet...just dozens of setup crew and all those people whose names fill up the credits. The caterers, cable pullers, statue-dusters, etc.).

The weather is holding up beautifully - sunshine, about 70 degrees. The Miramax crew lucked out.

As I walked through the Divinity School to grab my usual vegetarian couscous for Tuesday lunch (after all, I do have a midterm tonight. I need the quality proteins) I saw a row of dark blue director's chairs set up in the lobby with the director's and star's names on them...Gwyneth Paltrow, Jake Gyllenhaal, Anthony Hopkins.

Probably for one of the press release video bits they'll release to "Entertainment Tonight," or include as a bonus on the eventual DVD release.

See? Now I have to go see the movie and buy the Proof DVD. I was there!

I could have reached out and touched the chair that they may have just sat in - or would sit in shortly - but I didn't - that's just too fanboy for me. That, and I would have looked like an utter creep and probably would have been banned from going to the Div School cafe tomorrow to get my vegetarian couscous.

No star's worth that...not even Hannibal Lecter.