<
Wednesday, May 21, 2003
 
by Lenka Reznicek [permalink] 
To Be or Not to Be, Is That The Question?

Well, it's only two days into summer classes at Loyola, and my brain is already starting to emit little wisps of smoke. The irony is, the class I suspected would be the hard one, my upper-level Victims in the Criminal Justice System class - an elective - is turning out to be much less work than my Philosophy of Human Nature class, which is a required course. Since it is an accelerated summer session, from start to finish a summer course is six weeks, and each class meets two evenings a week.

Case in point - for philosophy, I will have to have read the whole of Hamlet, and a book each of Kant, Nietzsche and Descartes. Can you smell the cerebellum yet? At least we got to watch the BBC's 1980 production of Hamlet with Derek Jacobi and Patrick "Captain Picard" Stewart as Claudius, Prince Hamlet's perfidious uncle (and present king of Denmark). I would have enjoyed the play much more if I hadn't missed dinner; at least they didn't have any banquet scenes with suckling pigs.

For my criminology class next week we'll watch "The Accused" with Jodie Foster and Kelly McGillis to discuss its implications for victimology and criminal justice. Which class do you think I'd rather be in?

So if you wonder why my blog postings are sparser for the next several weeks - this is why. I'm two bizy gettin' idjicated.