<
Thursday, April 10, 2003
 
by Lenka Reznicek [permalink] 
There's SARS in Burlington, Vermont, Dude

It appears the mystery bug called SARS has surfaced in the placid citylet of Burlington, Vermont - we used to live in its vicinity back East, and because it was the largest town between Albany, NY and Montreal, it was a mecca for us wanna-be urbanites. Burlington was the only place around you could go to a good Asian restaurant, see a classical or big-name concert, or buy ethnic groceries.

Somehow, I wouldn't be too reassured by this comment from the state's health commissioner in reponse to the appearance of two SARS cases:
"Certainly, there's no reason to freak out," said Vermont Health Commissioner Dr. Paul Jarris. "They shouldn't be overly-concerned. This is an evolving thing. We don't know what the bug is yet, but it appears it takes close contact with somebody. And that could be contact such as: they coughed on you, they sneezed on you. But just walking down the street, you're not going to have a problem."
"Don't tell me whether I should like, freak out or not. Like, what if they, like, cough on me, or sneeze on me while I'm like, walking down the street, dude?"