Wednesday, April 16, 2003
It's amazing we survived this sort of cuisine when we were kids; but it sure raised a great generation, cholesterol be damned. In the irreverent spirit of James Lileks' Gallery of Regrettable Food, here is Family Indigestion - more recipes featuring semi-edible substances we'd be hard-pressed to call 'food'! My favorite section is the Trailer Trash Iron Chef party concept...I have a few recipes I'd love to compete with, like this one I call the...
Beanie Weenie Spamburrito!
- 4 large flour tortillas, warmed slightly
- 1 - 16 oz. can pork and beans
- 1 can SPAM(TM), julienn...ahem...sliced. We don't use them French terms in our kitchen no more.
- 1 can vienna sausage, or Mississippi Smoked Sausage, which is far more patriotic
- Velveeta(TM), or shredded cheddar if desired
Yes, it's edible. And actually quite good, with an ice-cold Blue Ribbon or Hamm's to wash it down, and you're not repressing as many migrant tomato pickers as if you went to Taco Bell(TM). Heck, there isn't a vegetable within hollerin' distance here.
If you'd like to check out more of our kitchen-tested recipes (none of which are like this one, I promise), be sure to check out My God, It's Full of Squirrels!